Hamas kommer att få betala

Israeli Military Finds Bodies of Kidnapped Teens

The Israeli military found the bodies of three missing teenagers on Monday, just over two weeks after they were abducted in the West Bank, allegedly by Hamas militants. The grisly discovery culminated a feverish search that led to Israel’s largest ground operation in the Palestinian territory in nearly a decade and raised fears of renewed fighting with Hamas. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed tough action. ”Hamas is responsible, and Hamas will pay,” he said in a statement, adding the teenagers ”were kidnapped and murdered in cold blood by human animals.” Eyal Yifrah, 19, Gilad Shaar, 16, and Naftali Fraenkel, a 16-year-old with dual Israeli-American citizenship, disappeared while hitchhiking home near the West Bank city of Hebron late at night on June 12 and were never heard from again. Despite the dangers, hitchhiking is common among Israelis traveling in and out of Jewish settlements in the West Bank. The teens had been studying at Jewish seminaries in the West Bank. The military and the Shin Bet security agency announced late Monday that the bodies had been found. ”The bodies are currently going through forensic identification. The families of the abducted teens have been notified,” the army said. Lt. Col. Peter Lerner, a military spokesman, said the bodies were found ”under a pile of rocks” near the village of Halhul, just north of Hebron. Binyamin Proper, who was among the civilian volunteers that found the bodies, told Channel 2 TV that a member of the search party ”saw something suspicious on the ground, plants that looked out of place, moved them and moved some rocks and then found the bodies. We realized it was them and we called the army.” Israel accused Hamas of being behind the abductions and launched a frantic manhunt throughout the West Bank, arresting nearly 400 Hamas operatives in the process. Last week, Israel identified two well-known Hamas operatives as the chief suspects. The two men remained on the run late Monday. The search for the teens captured the nation’s attention. The Israeli media delivered round-the-clock updates on the search, and the mothers of the three teens became high-profile figures as they campaigned for their sons’ return. Israelis held daily prayer vigils, including mass gatherings attended by tens of thousands of people at the Western Wall, the holiest prayer site in Judaism, and in a downtown square in Tel Aviv. News of their deaths prompted a spontaneous outpouring of grief among Israelis. Friends and neighbors rushed to the homes of the families in the Israeli towns of Nof Ayalon and Elad, and the West Bank settlement Talmon, while supporters lit memorial candles. ”All of Israel bows its head today,” said President Shimon Peres. Netanyahu was huddling with his Security Cabinet, a group of senior government ministers, late Monday debating a response. ”Murderers of children and those who direct them cannot be forgiven. Now is a time for actions, not words,”Naftali Bennett, a member of the group, wrote on his Facebook page ahead of the meeting. But Israel’s options could be limited. After a two-week crackdown on Hamas in the West Bank, few major targets remain. Hamas had already been weakened by seven years of pressure by Israel and the forces of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, and Israeli forces seemed to find very little during the latest crackdown.

Detta inlägg publicerades i Gasa - Hamas, Islamister / Jihadister, Israel. Bokmärk permalänken.

Kommentera

Fyll i dina uppgifter nedan eller klicka på en ikon för att logga in:

WordPress.com-logga

Du kommenterar med ditt WordPress.com-konto. Logga ut /  Ändra )

Google-foto

Du kommenterar med ditt Google-konto. Logga ut /  Ändra )

Twitter-bild

Du kommenterar med ditt Twitter-konto. Logga ut /  Ändra )

Facebook-foto

Du kommenterar med ditt Facebook-konto. Logga ut /  Ändra )

Ansluter till %s